Permanent Full-Time Position in North Vancouver, BC
New employees hired by the Nation are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. All offers of employment will be conditional on the candidate providing proof of full vaccination. If a candidate requires accommodation based on a ground protected by applicable human rights legislation, this will be reviewed and addressed.
CLOSES: Open Until Filled
- Great opportunity to help make a difference to the Squamish Nation community!
- Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
As a partially Accredited Early Childhood Educator, this intermediate-level childcare position provides support within the elementary program, provides Squamish Language instruction and/or teaches the Preschool program. Kindergarten teaching and/or Daycare.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Handles full-time teaching schedule.
- Evaluates students and provides reports.
- Establishes and adheres to timetable.
- Supports full inclusion and the holistic needs of each learner
- Communicates effectively and works collaboratively with the school team to achieve goals
- Prepares and implements lesson plans
- Promotes land-based learning
- Follows professional development plan.
- May mentor junior staff.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Contributes cooperatively to the Squamish Nation Education, Employment and Training team to achieve position and department goals.
Education, Level of Experience & Hiring Requirements:
- Early Childhood Educator Diploma - 1st year. Infant & Toddler Certificate. License to Practice.
- 2 – 3 years of years of directly-related experience in the majority of specialties listed in job description including child care, child supervision, preschool lesson planning and teaching, strong communication skills, growth mindset classroom delivery and management, etc.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to Kindergarten classroom management inclusive education, land based learning, Squamish language, first nation’s child development, curriculum development, language immersion etc.
- Experience as a beginner / intermediate level user of the Internet, MS Office, etc.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Experience working in a First Nations environment is preferred.
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 5. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance that meets company policy.
- Must have valid Level 2 First Aid certificate or must be willing to complete within set timeframe.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance that meets company.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check with vulnerable sector search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Competitive Salary plus a comprehensive benefits package